Family of missing woman Sarah Everard increasingly distraught as police appeal for footage

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
The family of missing marketing executive Sarah Everard today said they were getting increasingly distraught as police continued their search for clues nearly a week after she vanished.

Relatives were taking part in the hunt for the 33-year-old, who has not been seen or heard from since departing her friend’s house in Clapham at around 9pm last Wednesday. Ms Everard’s uncle Nick told the Standard: “The family are absolutely distraught today and it’s getting worse as the days go on, we still have no more information.

“I don’t know London well but I fear there could have been some bad people about who approached her. The family are searching with Sarah’s friends who have been absolutely amazing.”

Police have been carrying out door-to-door inquiries with more than 750 households spoken to by officers but the trail has apparently gone cold.

Detectives are also trawling for more CCTV clues. The latest piece of footage is from a doorbell camera on the junction of Cavendish Road and Poynders Road near Clapham Common.

They are now focusing their attention further towards Brixton where she is believed to have been heading. Officers have been told of assaults on women in the area previously. In January, the Metropolitan Police was said to have had a report of sexual harassment on a young female on Hydethorpe Road, half a mile from where Ms Everard was last spotted on CCTV.

In early February, a woman was reportedly seen being chased by a man about a mile away. And just three weeks ago, a 14-year-old girl was said to have been followed by a man in a van less than half a mile from Ms Everard’s last sighting.

Detective Chief Inspector Katherine Goodwin, who is leading the investigation, said: “This is definitely a missing person investigation at the moment but I remain open-minded as to all possibilities in the investigation.”

A police source told the Standard detectives have been left baffled as it seemed Ms Everard had “disappeared into thin air”.

Her uncle Nick said her phone stopped ringing on Wednesday.

Detective Chief Inspector Goodwin added: “We have seized a number of CCTV recordings but we know that there are likely to be many more out there.

“Please check your doorbell or CCTV footage just in case it holds a clue. I’m also asking delivery drivers or anyone with dashcam footage who would have been in the Poynders Road area at approximately 21.30hrs on Wednesday to come forward.

“I want to remain clear that at this time we have no information to suggest that Sarah has come to any harm. We share the wish of her family and friends to have her back safely with her loved ones.”

A police search team is combing through a building on the route Sarah Everard could have taken to her Brixton home.

Officers have searched the gardens and are inside Thorncliffe Court.

Source: Evening Standard